Found a Radiator that Fits


More odds and ends done today and I started fitting the radiator into the front end.

I went back to the G30 alternator and swapped pigtails so it would plug in and work the idiot light on the dashboard if it ever has any problems. The alternator I was using on the Astro 4.3 motor just quit working so instead of waiting to get it replaced I just used the G30 alt. The dead alt is under warranty still so I will exchange it and keep it as a spare.

I also found a radiator that seemed to be the best candidate for swapping. A radiator for a 67 suburban has the transmission cooler and is a 28x17 core. It has about the same hose sizes and fittings as the stock G30 radiator except for no oil cooler on the side. The G30 radiator has a 32x19 core and won’t fit at all. I got the radiator down in the stock location but that put it pretty close to the pulleys and I would only have a quarter inch of clearance from the fans to the motor. There is more room in front of the radiator to move it forward so I cut away a bit of the metal that was in the way. I could then move it right up behind the condenser. There is now plenty of room behind it for the fans and a bit more air flow. I will have to trim the radiator support across the top but not that bad to make an opening for the cap. It should work out good where it is at.


I will have to move the two transmission coolers and make room so I can get the engine oil cooler mounted in there. I will try and finish mounting it and get all the hoses hooked up tomorrow.